We're always looking for motivated individuals for a wide range of positions in our different locations.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Great West Newspapers; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Bonnyville Nouvelle and Lakeland Regional is currently recruiting for a general assignment Senior Reporter/Photographer.
As part of our three-person newsroom, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with our editor, reporter and other staff to maintain and enhance our high standards of editorial quality and community service, delivered through various platforms including print, web and social media for our two papers. Reporters are required to cover stories and events in and around the Town of Bonnyville for the Nouvelle, as well as in and around the City of Cold Lake for the Regional.
Requirements of the position include:
• a degree or diploma in journalism is a must;
• strong organizational and time management skills, ensuring that key objectives are accomplished within the necessary timeframes;
• the ability to work on a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and at a moment's notice
• strong skills in copy editing to CP style, as well as the ability to utilize constructive feedback to enhance the quality of your articles;
• the willingness to report on features, spot news, sports and coverage of essential community beats (municipal councils, school boards, provincial courts, etc.)
• a demonstrated ability to write crisp, engaging stories with attention-grabbing leads and meaningful quotes;
• a willingness to research and develop compelling story pitches on a weekly basis;
• have strong digital photography skills;
• possess a substantial knowledge and passion for a variety of sports
In addition, preference will be given to candidates who:
• have one to two years of experience as a community reporter;
• understand the subtleties of community reporting, recognizing which stories to handle with kid gloves, and which to latch onto;
• enjoy writing weekly columns that engage readers;
• have training in page layout, particularly using Adobe Creative Suite software (InDesign, Photoshop);
• have a strong understanding of online reporting and social media, and the appropriate integration of those tools to complement print products.
To the preferred candidate, we offer:
• a very competitive salary and benefits package;
• an active, dynamic community in which to live and work;
• a team of hard-working, outgoing people who pride themselves in producing an excellent product each week — and have fun doing it;
• opportunities for promotion and advancement within the Great West Newspapers family.
The position is based in Bonnyville, Alberta, a growing, dynamic community of approximately 7,000 people.
A personal vehicle is a must, or the ability to acquire one soon after arrival.
Interested? Send your resume with writing samples and references to:
Angie Hampshire, Publisher
Bonnyville Nouvelle & Lakeland Regional
5304 50th Avenue, Bonnyville, AB T9N 1Y4
P: 780-826-3876 ext: 226 F: 780-826-7062