We're always looking for motivated individuals for a wide range of positions in our different locations.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working with Great West Newspapers; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The St. Albert Gazette, an award-winning, twice-weekly newspaper in Alberta’s Capital Region, is looking for an experienced reporter with solid experience in photojournalism.
As part of our busy newsroom, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with our staff of two editors, six other reporters and two photographers, producing high quality stories and photos, delivered through various platforms including print, web and social media. The candidate must also be self-motivated and have a proven ability to generate story ideas.
Requirements of the position include:
• a demonstrated ability to write crisp, engaging stories with attention-grabbing leads and meaningful quotes;
• excellent interviewing skills, demonstrating an ability to establish an appropriate rapport with sources;
• strong organizational and time management skills, ensuring that deadlines are always met;
• strong digital photography skills;
• experience in community reporting including features, spot news, coverage of essential community beats (municipal councils, school boards, provincial courts, etc.)
In addition, preference will be given to candidates who:
• have previous experience in a community newspaper newsroom;
• have a strong understanding of online reporting and social media, and the appropriate integration of those tools to complement print products.
To the preferred candidate, we offer:
• a very competitive salary and benefits package;
• an active, dynamic community of 63,000 in which to live and work;
• a team of hard-working, outgoing people who pride themselves in producing an excellent product each week — and have fun doing it.
• opportunities for promotion and advancement within the Great West Newspapers family.
Please send your resume with writing samples and references before Jan. 23, 2015 to:
Jeff Holubitsky, editor
St. Albert Gazette
fax: (780) 460-5510
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.